The teaching of Christ is replete with commandments that He, as
supreme Lord, gave us to accept as a light burden and an easy yoke. A
sampling follows, all gleaned from Matthew’s Gospel.
1. Seek every word that proceeds from the mouth of God (Mt.4:4).
2. Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God (Mt.4:7).
3. Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou
4. Repent (Mt.4:17).
5. Follow me (Mt.4:19).
6. Rejoice when you are persecuted (Mt.5:12).
7. Let your light shine before men (Mt.5:16).
8. Don't break or dispise even the least of God's commandments
9. Don't be angry with your brother (Mt.5:22).
10. Be reconciled with your neigbour before approching God in
11. Don't look at a woman to lust for her (Mt.5:28).
12. Be radical in resisting sin (cutting off the right hand)
13. Don't swear frivolously (Mt.5:34).
14. Be meek; don't seek your rights (Mt.5:38-40).
15. Love your enemy (Mt.5:44).
16. Bless those who curse you (Mt.5:44).
17. Do good to those who hate you (Mt.5:44).
18. Pray for your abusers (Mt.5:44).
19. Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect (Mt.5:48).
20. Don't be a show-off in your profession of faith (Mt.6:1ff.).
21. Don't be short-sighted in storing up your treasures: think of
the after-life (Mt.6:19-21).
22. Be wholly devoted in your service to God (Mt.6:24).
23. Don't worry; don't be anxious (Mt.6:25ff.).
24. Don't be judgmental and censorious (Mt.7:1ff.).
25. Don't give what is holy to the dogs (Mt.7:6).
26. Pray fervently and persistently (Mt.7:7ff.).
27. Whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them (Mt.7:12).
28. Seek salvation God's way: enter by the narrow way (Mt.7:13).
29. Take heed of false prophets (Mt.7:15).
30. Test the false prophets by their works, and by whether their
doctrine accords with Scripture (Mt.7:16ff.).
31. Don't just listen to my teaching: obey it and do it
32. Be concerned about missions (Mt.9:37,38).
33. Confess me before men (Mt.10:32).
34. Be willing to lose your life for my sake (Mt.10:39).
35. Don't be offended because of me (Mt.11:4-6).
36. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me (Mt.11:29).
37. Take heed of your speech (Mt.12:36).
38. Don't add tradition or anything else to the Word of God
39. Beware of hypocrisy (Mt.16:5).
40. Practise self-denial (Mt.16:24).
41. Take up the cross (Mt.16:24).
42. Humble yourself (Mt.18:4,5).
43. Be careful not to offend the least of believers (Mt.18:6,7).
44. Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones
45. Practice healthy and loving church discipline (Mt.18:15-20).
46. Forgive everyone at all times and at every occasion for
whatever offences he commits against you (Mt.18:21ff.).
47. Don't divorce your wife (Mt.19:1ff.).
48. Let the little children come to me (Mt.19:13).
49. Obey the Ten Commandments (Mt.19:16-22).
50. Don't profane divine ordinances (Mt.21:12-13).
51. Have faith in God; do not doubt Him (Mt.21:21,22).
52. Render to Caesar his due and to God His due (Mt.22:21).
53. Love the Lord your God with all your being (Mt.22:37,38).
54. Love all fellow-men as you love yourself (Mt.22:39).
55. Observe the Supper in my remembrance (Mt.26:26-29).